Monday, June 23, 2008

Home Sweet New York

Yesterday was our first full day here in Upstate New York, but I will start from the beginning. We woke up at about 7am on Saturday morning, and left for the airport at 8am. It was sad to leave the house for so long, but Mikey’s Dad is going to come by and take care of the pool and flowers. Our flight was at 940am, so we had plenty of time once we got to the airport. We didn’t have to pay for our bags since we had booked before the 15th, but of course our bag was 5lbs over the limit. Mikey talked the nice lady into “overlooking” it. We flew American Eagle direct to Syracuse. It has been years since I have flown straight through to Upstate NY. The flight was only 2 hours and 40 minutes, just enough time for one movie. The good news was that my bladder held up and I didn’t have to go in the little bathroom on the plane, but the bad news is that my back was killing me about half way into the flight. They say you are supposed to get up and walk around, but it was such a small plane. So anyway, we arrived safely in Syracuse at 150pm. It was a short drive to my Nonie’s house in Bridgeport, New York. We were in and settled by 3pm. They have two houses on the lake, the big house (where my grandparents actually live) and the little house which is down a hill and literally right on the lake. I will have to post pictures of this tomorrow to give you a better visual. We stay in the little house. Mycah isn’t coming until Wednesday, so Mikey and I have it all to our selves until she gets here. It has a full kitchen and bathroom, a beautiful closed in porch, and a nice breezy porch on the side of the house. Upstairs has two beds and a dresser. Nonie made us grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and then it was time for cocktail hour. Nonie, Poppy Al, and Mikey enjoyed their cocktails and I enjoyed my water. We had a nice steak dinner up at the big house. We thought Mikey would build a fire, but we were both exhausted from our long day. We were in bed by 830, and no it wasn’t even dark yet! We are officially on vacation.

Sunday was our first full day of vacation. We slept in until 9am. There was a thunderstorm during the night, and the house has a tin roof, so it was good sleeping. Not to mention that you can hear the lake from our bed too. It is so peaceful. We had breakfast on the covered porch, and then got our bathing suits on and headed out for the sun. I realized when I woke up that I wanted coffee, and of course there was no decaf in the house. Mikey and I have a ritual when we are on vacation. We make coffee and sit outside and enjoy the view wherever we are. I missed not having my vacation coffee, so Mikey said that we could go buy some today. He is really getting the hang of catering to his pregnant princess. Just to give you an idea of the weather here for those of you who are stuck in the 100 degree weather in Dallas, it is getting down into the 50’s at night and up in the high 70’s during the day. Absolutely perfect weather!
So basically we spent the day by the lake. Mikey did some fishing off of the dock and I laid in the sun. The water is pretty cold. Mikey swam a few times, but I only got in once up to my waist and I think my whole body went numb. Nonie made some delicious quesadillas for lunch. We sat in the sun another hour or so and then a storm came in around 3pm. We put all of the cushions in and went inside and played cards while it blew through. I got some good sun on my front side. I will have to figure out a way to get my back. My belly is getting too big to lay on my stomach. Then we decided to take a walk. I showed him where some of my childhood friends lived. Of course now just their parents live there. They are grown and have their own families and houses now. I wanted to show Mikey where I used to ride my bike over to a little marina to get candy, so we came back and got the golf cart. We drove down three different streets and we couldn’t get to it. Apparently they have it blocked off now, so he just had to take my word for it. As we were coming back towards the house, we saw a little white dog running high speed away from the house and sure enough it was Nonie’s baby, Maggie. We chased her down and got her in the golf cart and sure enough, we couldn’t get the golf cart started back up. Mikey got off and pushed while I drove and we finally got it started, and headed back to the house. We decided to go into town to look for my coffee. Our two options were Kinney Drugstore or Dollar General. We decided to check out both. We found my coffee at the drugstore and then my creamer at the Dollar General. We had to make a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts; they actually have something that we have back at home. We each had a chocolate donut and then went home. We got home just in time for happy hour.

Last night for dinner, everyone else had fresh fish (walleye pike) that Al caught that morning. I had a pork chop, since fish out of the lake isn’t recommended for us pregnant people. It was all delicious. Mikey decided that he couldn’t wait for my parents to get here on Monday to have a fire, so he built the first bonfire of the summer. He did a little more fishing right before dark and caught a little bass, but threw that one back too. He likes to catch them, but doesn’t want to clean them. We sat out by the fire until about 10pm and then went up to bed.

Today is Monday morning, and guess what? We aren’t at work! Yah! Mikey made my coffee first and boy was it delicious. It was definitely a craving that was satisfied. We sat out on the dock and enjoyed our coffee. The water is so clear and it was so calm this morning. We sat and watched all kinds of fish swim by. The lakes here are real/natural, not man made like the ones in Texas. They have rocky bottoms and besides the occasional seaweed, you can see the bottom. They aren’t mirky and muddy like the ones in Texas. We just ate breakfast up in the little house and now we are back down by the lake. I am blogging and Mikey is hard at work. He says he is making something pretty. He has a shovel and is digging up rocks out of the lake and bringing them to shore. Stay tuned to see the finished product whatever it may be….oh, and Mom and Dad should be here in time for dinner tonight! Miss you all…..

No comments: