7:28pm
In addition to my last update, Kiley ate mashed potatoes and gravy, a yogurt, and some more applesauce. I think it is safe to say that her appetite is back. She is becoming more active now. Sitting up and trying to rollover and get out of bed. All of her wires keep getting tangled up. Even though there are less of them, they are hard to keep straight because she is moving around so much. She even had a little bit of blood come from her chest tube, but the nurse said that was ok. She is still pretty drugged up so she falls asleep but it is still a restless sleep. Marmee read her a couple of books in between eating and sleeping and now she is sleeping again.
In the meantime, Presley has been playing dress up at home. Our neighbors brought her over some dress up stuff and she is having a ball.
Look at all of those bracelets!
5:23pm
As soon as Mikey and I got back to the hospital, we saw our sweet angel sleeping peacefully.
She had some visitors while we were gone and she got some stuffed animals and some beautiful flowers.
Shortly after we were there, she woke up. And guess who is back?? Our Kiley girl!! She pointed to Baby Einstein on the TV and smiled and got excited.
It was the best feeling for all of us. She drank more water and then she ate two applesauces!
Kiley's homemade sippy cup.
Eating applesauce.
She is ready to get her strength back and ready to get out of bed. We tried to let her stand up but she wasn't quite ready for that yet. Over the next hour she started getting pretty restless, so the nurse gave her some medication to calm her down. Since she was already restless, the nurse went ahead and took out the IV on her left shoulder!! One less thing! Once the medicine hit her, I gave her her juicy and she finally settled down. I went ahead and ordered her dinner (yogurt, applesauce, ravioli and mashed potatoes). Hopefully she will eat some more when she wakes up!
3:03pm
Mikey and I had lunch around 12:15pm. When we got back from eating, the music therapist was there. Kiley smiled for the first time! She sang and played the guitar for Kiley!
Kiley loves music!! Since she was so content with the music, Mikey and I decided it would be a good time to sneak out to run home so I could shower. I am all showered and ready for another night at the hospital with my sweet baby! I just called Grampy to check in and he said Kiley is still in and out of sleep, but she did drink some water, so that is a great step! Also, while I was home, I updated this post and yesterday's post with pictures. I understand if it is hard to look at the pictures, but we wanted to be able to show Kiley where her scar came from and how brave she was! Mikey and I got to see Presley and Buddy before we left!
We are heading back to the hospital and I hope to have an update when we get back!
12:28pm
The nurse took Kiley's catheter and one of her IVs out around 11:05am. Kiley is trying to wake up but she is still extremely tired. The medicine is making her itch, so she keeps scratching her face. Luckily Daddie gave her a manicure before we came to the hospital. The nurse also took off her oxygen and it has been staying at a safe level this time. The biggest treat of the day so far is that I finally got to hold my baby.
She wakes up and is quite skirmish, but it is so great to be able to rock her to comfort her.
It is going to take a lot of discipline for us to learn not to pick her up under the arms. Our next goal is for her to wake up enough in order to drink some water. The nurse is no longer giving nutrients through an IV, so she needs to start eating and drinking to keep her strength up! Please pray for Kiley to drink some water.
9:35am
The nurse just came in and turned the Precedex off so that she will start to wake up more. They are going to take her catheter and two of her IVs out today. They also want her to start eating and drinking. The heart rehab team is also going to come up to help Kiley try to start walking with the walker. I will update as she hits these milestones.
9:09am
Kiley is still in and out of sleep. I was able to go out for a quick run to try to wake up my sleepy eyes and get some breakfast. At about 8:30, the nurse gave Kiley Tylenol by mouth. This is the first substance she has had by mouth since before surgery, so we are praying her little tummy can handle it and she keeps it down. So far so good. Also, she is off of the blood pressure medicine and her blood pressure has stayed down! Soon they will start to reduce her Precedex which is the medicine that keeps her relaxed in order to help her start to fully wake up. I will post more once there are any changes.
In the meantime, Presley got to go to Target with Marmee. Look what she got!! I think she is having a pretty good time!
6:15am
Thank you for your prayers. Kiley had a very good night. Daddie sat with her for a while after I laid down. I think I fell asleep around 9:30 or so and slept until 2:15am! It felt amazing! At 2:15am the nurse gave Kiley pain meds for the first time in 4 hours! Throughout the night, she was finally sleeping more peacefully with her eyes closed. God was taking good care of her.
They came in and did a chest xray at 2:30am and then the nurse gave her a sponge bath around 2:45am. The nurse took off two more wires (yah) and she also removed the bandage over her incision.
It looks great! It is about the length of my index finger. We were so surprised at how small the incision was! Mikey was very excited to wake up to that good news early this morning!
Throughout all of this action, she did great, just minimal crying here and there. She is so tough!
After all the action, I tried to lay back down and just as I did, she started crying. I looked up and she had turned over and was on all fours! She was trying to get out of bed! The nurse gave her some more medicine to relax her so there are no more incidents like that one. Daddie went home about an hour ago to get some rest since only one of us could sleep in the room. (The waiting room accomodations aren't that great for sleeping) As of now (6:43am), Kiley is starting to actually wake up from the anesthesia which is what they want her to do. She is whining, but doesn't seem to be in too much pain. I am comforting her as best as I can. Please say prayers for Kiley today that she will wake up feeling ok and we hope to get more of the needles and tubes out today. I hope to go home this afternoon to shower and freshen up. I will post some pictures throughout my updates and definitely keep everyone updated throughout the day on her progress!
First Day of 7th & 9th Grade
1 day ago


















No comments:
Post a Comment