Mom turned a very young 60 this year and we did a lot of fun things to celebrate! A week or so before her actual birthday, Mom invited Mycah and I to stay a night at the Ritz for a girls night out! We met at the hotel around 330pm. We had some appetizers and champagne in the room while we got ready. We took a selfie with Mom's new selfie stick before dinner!
Mycah had her own little selfie session with the selfie stick.
We had a nice dinner out. We slept in a little the next morning and then got up and walked Katy Trail downtown. We had never been on it and the weather was perfect. We walked a mile to the trail, walked the entire trail and had lunch and then walked back. I think we calculated about 8 miles!
Before I left for my girls night out, I went to the store and bought some fun snacks for Daddie Day Care. The kids picked out the chocolate fudgecicles....Mikey sent these two pictures.
Mikey and one of our neighbors took the kids to breakfast on Saturday morning! After our walk and lunch we went to get a mani pedi! Daddie survived and Mommy had a great time!! Thanks Mom!!
Little did Mom know, I had a few birthday surprises up my sleeve. Mikey and I were talking one night about what we could do special for Mom's birthday. We knew a surprise party was out of the question and we also know how much she loves her wine. Long story short, I drafted a letter and sent it to all of her close friends, family and coworkers asking them to write a handwritten message of a piece on card stock that I provided and send it back in the self addressed stamped envelope. I wanted to put each message on a bottle of her favorite wine. So everyone sent back a message and money for a bottle of her wine. Once we decided to do this, I wanted to schedule a time to give her this big surprise. She kept putting me off so I finally put my foot down and told her to block off her calendar from a Friday to a Monday for a birthday celebration and promised no surprise party. The other "surprise" that I had coordinated was with her sister to make a surprise visit! We were so excited.
After months of planning and receiving messages in the mail, the weekend had finally come. I have to say, it was so much fun running out to the mailbox each day! I worked all week on her surprise display!! This was the first version.
After working on the display all day, I brought Mikey in to get his input after the kids went to bed. He thought there should be a little more height to it, so he made some adjustments.
I was so appreciative of his input, but after looking at it the next day, I thought it was a little too chaotic so I came up with a happy medium. It was great team work from the beginning to the end. Mom's friend, Karen, had sent me a couple of old pictures and I also framed our "selfie". I also put together a scrapbook for her to keep all of the messages in. The only thing I had left to do before she came was to pour her a glass of wine!
So the plan was for Mom to come over after work and walk into her birthday surprise. Well, she didn't call me when she left the office so we were out front getting Kiley off the bus when she drove up. We had to run inside and intercept her before she started taking her stuff back to the guest room. We had her close her eyes and we walked her into the dining room where I had everything set up. She knew which room she was in and she thought I had gotten new furniture and was showing her. Then she opened her eyes and couldn't believe it. (I obviously didn't get the glass of wine poured). I explained to her how we came up with the surprise and everything we had done to make it perfect for her. It was the absolute perfect gift for Mom. Very personal, her favorite wine and no party! Success!
We had planned to meet Mycah for an adult dinner while we waited for her next surprise to arrive. Aunt Pat was arriving around 10pm, so I figured we would have a long relaxed dinner, pick up the kids and then go back to the house and read some messages and then we would head to the airport. Well, after dinner, Aunt Pat sent me a text telling me she missed her connection and wouldn't be in until 130am. How in the world would I keep her up that late to go to the airport with me?? We got the kids in bed and started reading all of the messages. I just came to the conclusion that I would let her go to bed and Pat would just come crawl into bed. We ended up talking and reading a little later than I thought so as she was trying to go to bed (around 1145), I decided to start the dishes. Of course, she needed to help. Just as we were finishing up, Bentley woke up. Mom offered to go up to console him. She has a hard time putting him back down to let him cry so she was up there almost 45 minutes! Thank you Bentley. Mycah and I plotted out an escape plan. Mom was already in her jammies so I put shoes and a sweater in the car. As soon as she came back down I told her to get in the car!
She had so many questions and was very reluctant. I lied to her a couple of times and then just told her to trust me. We were about 5 minutes from the airport when she realized that is where we were going. Then she didn't know if we were going some where or picking someone up. It was just enough time to keep her guessing. We pulled up at the gate and Pat ran out and I opened her window and mission number 2 was accomplished. My Uncle Steve works at the airport and also came out to surprise her. We talked for about an hour at the airport!
We didn't go to bed until after 3am, but it was all so worth it! We spent the next day by the pool.
I made a nice dinner on Saturday night.
Mom and Pat left on Sunday morning after breakfast to do some shopping and then go back to Mom's house. After the first surprise, Mom still couldn't figure out why I made her take the day off on Monday. Once Pat showed up, it all made sense. We planned a fun day trip to Waco, Texas. We all watch Fixer Upper and had wanted to go visit the Magnolia Shop and some of the antique shops that Joanna shops at. We met Mom and Pat at her house early Monday morning. Bentley had just enough time to sit on the tractor.
Our first stop was the Magnolia Shop. The kids weren't too interested.
With Bentley being the wonderful shopper that he is, we were kind of shopping in shifts. I asked Mom to take a picture of me and Presley. This was the first attempt.
And then after a bribe...
Bentley had way more fun playing outside the shop.
The shop was super cute and had a lot of stuff from the shows. This about summarizes the shopping experience with Bentley.
We asked where the silos are that they are building their new shop and offices, so we drove by and took some pictures. They have already done so much! We heard a train coming, so we parked the car next to the silos and let Bentley watch the train. That and sitting on the tractor were the highlight of his day.
We went to another Antique Store that Joanna shops at, but it was closed.
We went to a few more shops and then to a Mexican Restaurant for lunch and then headed home so that Pat could catch her flight. It was a perfect ending to a perfect birthday celebration. It was so much fun to do so many fun things for Mom to make her feel special on her birthday because she always makes us feel so special. We love you Mom/Marmee!!
First Day of 7th & 9th Grade
1 day ago

1 comment:
What a fun weekend - so thoughtful!
Post a Comment