Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Destin w/The Girls!

Last month, I had the amazing opportunity to go on a 5 day trip with my girlfriends. No boys and no kids for 5 whole days. It was so fun and relaxing!

We left first thing on Saturday morning and took a direct flight to Fort Walton Beach. It is only a 2 hour flight. My friend, Kelli's Parents, have a house in Sandestin so that is where we stayed!

By the time we landed, got our rental cars, grocery shopped and bought our drinks for the week it was almost 4pm. We decided to go for a walk on the beach before we had to get ready for dinner. This was our first time on the beach. Destin is absolutely gorgeous. I grew up going every summer. We would stop on our way up to New York and spend the day at Henderson State Park.

On Saturday night we went to dinner at my favorite place called The Back Porch. There is always a long wait, so you go down on the beach to wait for your table. There is a bar down there. We ordered some fruity drinks and took some pictures while we waited for our table.

On Sunday morning, we were up first thing and ready to go to the beach. It was such a fun girls' trip because everyone loves the beach as much as I do and wanted to maximize our time on the beach. We made no other plans except to lay on the beach every day!

We had some eventful times on the beach each day. On the first day, we were just out a couple of hours and we saw people looking and pointing out into the water. At first we thought it was a dolphin, but then we quickly realized that there was only one fin. As everyone made this same realization, everyone got out of the water and lined up on the beach watching the creature go back and forth. Hmmmm...I wonder what it was?? Shark?

Awww, I am in heaven....

....and so are they!

On Sunday afternoon, Shawna and I decided to do some boogey boarding. The waves get bigger in the afternoon and were perfect!

Courtney got a great action shot of me riding a wave in!

On Sunday night, we stayed in for dinner. Courtney made some amazing veggie burgers. They were delicious! We also discussed our book club book.

On Monday morning, we went to breakfast at a place called The Donut Hole. It was delicious! I had eggs benedict and the donut holes were amazing. After breakfast, we headed out to the beach for another relaxing day. We read magazines, books, and had a lot of fun girl talks. We also got adventurous and swam out to a sand bar. Please note that the sand bar was where the shark was the day before...that is why I say it was an adventure =).

Monday night was KC and Shawna's last night, so we went out to dinner at a place called Bud & Alley's in Seaside.

We arrived early to watch the sunset. Courtney and I ordered Martini's.

A toast to our girls trip and the beautiful sunset and ocean!
The six of us before dinner.

Having a great time on my trip!

Another picture after dinner.

On Tuesday morning, Courtney took Shawna to the airport and then KC left for the airport a little later in the morning. Courtney, Tamra and I decided to do a little shopping. There were a lot of fun shops in the resort. I got the girls some shirts and myself a new pair of Reef flip flops. I love them!

After shopping we headed back out to the beach. This time, we saw a rescue! There were some people about as far out as we were the day before and they couldn't get back in. The lifeguards/bartenders had to go out and rescue them. It was just like Baywatch!

On Tuesday night, it was just the 4 of us (Kelli, Courtney, Tamra and myself) so we stayed in for dinner. Kelli made a delicious pasta and Tamra made a yummy salad. It was nice to stay in and relax after a long day at the beach.

We didn't fly out until late on Wednesday, so we got to spend another day at the beach. On our last day, we saw a school of sting rays. It was pretty cool! After our last few hours on the beach, we went back to the condo to shower and pack up. We stopped for a late lunch on the way to the airport. The only place we saw was a Dairy Queen. They ended up having these yummy chicken fingers that they made only at that restaurant from scratch. I totally recommend them! Our flight was delayed so we didn't get in until late. The girls were asleep when I got home =(.

I had such an amazing time. It was a very laid back and relaxing trip but fun at the same time. I had so much fun with you girls! We have been friends for 10 years and we hope to take another trip in the next 10 years! I missed my husband and girls and was glad to be back home with them. Thank you to Marmee, Guy, Grammy and Grampy for helping with the girls while I was gone. Even though I am still nursing and had to pump 4 times a day, it was well worth some time away to re-energize!

No comments: